Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thanks for Sharing... I think??

Let me start by saying, I have hiked Case Mountain a total of 3 times... This is an improvement over last time. I am pretty sure it has really prepared be for the 8-10 hour hike... I have learned a few things over the course of the last few weeks. The first is (if it was in my nature) I should be careful who I tell I am climbing Mount Washington. I have gotten a whole lot of support and excitement but I have gotten a few unsolicited pieces of advice. One person felt the need to tell me the story about the mutual friend who got hypothermia and had to be taken off the mountain, or there is the other person who described how his wife had to hold on to their 10 year old so securely because the winds were so fierce they were afraid she would blow away. Oh and my favorite the story about how a friend and his father got separated while climbing together and they had to send a search party to find his father. To this one I replied. No worries Felicia and I are going to hike pretty close to each other, to which he added so had he and his father... I am considering tethering myself to Felicia. But really these have all been really helpful in lessening my anxiety around this hike. The next lessen is you need a lot of things to climb this mountain. Aside from hiking boots and a super cute outfit, I have been advised you also need the following: Hiking Boots, Flip Flops (to change into at the top to give your feet a break from your boots), 2 pairs of good wool hiking socks, Shorts, Wind pants, Extra pair of underwear, Several layers of short sleeve and long sleeve dry-wicking shirts, Fleece vest or jacket, Wind breaker or rain coat, Gloves, Hat (baseball for sun and wool for cold), Headlamp or flashlight, Sunglasses, Food, Water (at least 32oz), powdered Gatorade, First aid kit (Vaseline for blisters), Money (cash), Driver’s license, Sunblock, and Bic lighter. What the person who put this list together forgot to mention is (just a few minor itty bitty things) sun glasses, hiking poles, oh and let’s not forget a TRAIL MAP! But even still, this is a day trip and I am beginning to wonder what kind of pack I will need to hold all this stuff. Anyone know if M. Washington has a sherpa service?? Seriously. I am really not nervous but I started to wonder when having a conversation with Felicia she said "it will be fine" or "you will be fine" no less than 30 times. I wasn’t sure if she was trying to convince me or herself. Looks like we both have things to work on! We climb in 7 days. What can I worry about next?

No comments:

Post a Comment