Saturday, July 7, 2012

From the Corner of the Couch to Mount Washington

About 10 years ago, I started doing sprint triathlons. Every year I have done at least one and more often a few races over the course of the summer. Last year and this year I have been sidelined. Originally, I think I was just burnt out. It is tough keeping up the momentum at 50+ pounds heavier than my fellow athletes. SO I took last year off. I did a few bike rides and continued my normal workouts. The intention was to come back this year. Well this year I find myself with back, knee, ankle and heel problems. It would seem I need to take another year off. But I wanted to do something that would be challenging and fun. I was really more interested in fun. Over the last few years, my good friend Felicia has suggested we go up to New Hampshire and climb Mount Washington. So when triathlons seem bleak this year I decided to make a plan. I mean it’s a hike. Sure it’s a 4 mile climb but really it’s a walk uphill. How hard can it be? I just need to train. So about a week or so ago, I committed to walking Case Mountain 5 days a week. Well, I walked Case Mountain today for the first time - so much for plans. For those of you not familiar with Case, this mountain is located in Manchester Connecticut and borders Glastonbury, Bolton and Hebron. At an astounding elevation of 744 ft. it is really more of a hill that takes about 15 minutes to summit. I am not sure how prepared I will be. I may need to look for something more challenging. But really I wasn't worried until I went to Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) this morning. Important to note is this is before I had hiked at all. So what many of you may not know, unless we have done a race together, or trained together - the fact of the matter is while I believe training is important, I think having the right gear is equally important and must include a new outfit. After all, I am not going to be the first to finish, and I will likely look at my wits end for all or part of the event so first and foremost the outfit HAS to be super cute.. So I was going into EMS to check out outfits and get a pair of hiking shoes/boots (wasn’t sure which). I go into EMS into the shoe department and a young guy approaches to help me. I proudly state, "I am climbing Mount Washington and I think I need something more than sneakers to hike it." To which he replied in agreement. Further stating the Mount Washington is the highest climb and one of the most challenging east of the Mississippi. Say what... This is not what Felicia has led me to believe. Good thing she is on her annual month long road trip west without a cell phone and unable to be reached - I am now panicked. Felicia is tall, slender, a lifelong runner, with a runners body. Myself, while for the last 20 years, I am an active swimmer, biker and "if someone is chasing me and I fear for my life" runner, I am average to short with a not-so aerodynamic body. What have I gotten myself into?? Well specifically, I have gotten myself into a hike to an elevation of over 6,000 feet. SO this is why when I got home with my new mid-level Keen hiking boots, I strapped them on and headed out in the sprinkling rain to hike Case Mountain. Normally the sprinkling would have been a sign from god to procrastinate... not today. I was up and down the sprawling Case Mountain in exactly 30 minutes. I hike on August 2nd.... Over the course of the next few weeks I will step up my training, find out more about this hike I have agreed to and I will keep you posted on my progress. I still need to get that super cute outfit to match my hiking books... I hope you will follow along... There are sure to be shocking revelations, challenges, sore muscles and plenty of laughs along the way. Oh and hopefully I survive to laugh about it. Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment