Monday, October 1, 2012

MT Mashington in Perspective


So you are all up to date on my climbing of Mount Washington. We were at Mount Washington for 3 days, then Lake Winnipesaukee for 2 days. It was a great long weekend! Lots of fun but the whole trip was defined by the hike up Mount Washington and really it took me a while to put it in perspective. I finally stopped calling it the worst day of my life. Now, I am safely back on the corner of the couch. Thankfully, heating pads were avoided. But 2 months later I think it’s in perspective and here is what I learned:

5. I liked Joe Dodge Lodge and would stay there again in a minute, but at some point I want to stay at the Mount Washington Inn... Now that is my kind of hotel...

4. I have great support, not the least of which is Felicia Falkowski. She may have at some points worried we wouldn't summit but she never showed me anything but the greatest confidence. I would not have summited without her and would not have wanted anyone else beside me... well with the exception of maybe Hugh Jackman who may have been able to carry me//. But it was not just Felicia supporting me, everyone I told was so supportive and I could feel it at each step.

3. It was probably the best day of my life. It was a huge accomplishment, in the moment I didn't give myself enough credit.

2. I cannot believe I am writing this but I WANT TO DO IT AGAIN. I need to hike up and down in one day. When I do that I will consider the mountain tackled. Not to mention there are so many trails, huts, and lodges that I think would be fun to check out. I cannot see myself hiking every day for a week straight but I could definitely do a few days...

1. I am capable of so much more than I ever thought. I would say most people live their lives in the middle. Away from the risk, sharp edges. It is comfortable there. Do not under estimate what you are capable of, do things that stretch your comfort zone. Every year do one thing that makes you uncomfortable or even a little scared.

As many of you know my job was recently eliminated and I am in the middle of something really scary so I am trying to take my own advice and make it all worthwhile and hope that I land in a place that is better than where I left! We will see, and you may all read about it in my blog from the corner of my couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment